- Outside…of the window, most of the trees I see are now bare. There are chickadees hopping around in some of the branches and snacking at the birdfeeder.
- Around the house… it is a bit chilly in here and I am thinking of starting a small fire in the woodstove. Both of my girls are feeling sick, which means our plans to go and spend some time with the seniors at the Continuing Care Center have been cancelled.
- My spirit… is in a funk. This week, a number of things have gone wrong or we’ve heard news we didn’t want to hear. I am really, really missing our Nico. We haven’t seen or heard from her in about 5-6 weeks now. Some days, I have a sense of peace or our busy schedules keep me from dwelling on it. Yesterday, my heart heaved with sadness and I felt that anger rise up in me again. It is a heavy feeling and I don’t like it.
- But, there is joy…in welcoming our 7th Compassion International child into our family. Several weeks ago, I signed up for another correspondence child. These are children you don’t have to financially sponsor, but you do have to commit to writing to them regularly. (Their sponsors do not want to write, so they sign off to allow someone else to write to them.) Kazihizina is a 15 year old girl from Rwanda who likes to sing in her church choir. She also enjoys playing group games, playing house, marbles, hide and seek, jump rope and other ball games. I know that the children in Rwanda generally only write the minimum 3 times a year, but I look forward to being a constant presence of love and encouragement in her life.
- There is perspective… as we struggle with some financial issues. I read that the average family in Kazihizina’s area makes $8 per month. Yes, EIGHT dollars….. per month. That is perspective, no doubt.
- In my prayers… a family that I know, whose 9 year old daughter is undergoing a heart procedure today.
- Our plans for the rest of the week…are up in the air. Tomorrow’s history class and helping a friend move on Saturday will depend on my girls getting better.
- Some books in our library basket…
Too Many Pumpkins is such a cute story! Luna has asked me to read it several times since we brought it home and I am pretty sure she talked Kaya into reading it a few times, too.
I am a big fan of Tomie dePaola and think this book is sweet. Luna, however, got hung up on the fact that the frog is as big as the pig. Ha! Four year olds!
What are your favorite Autumn themed children’s books?
Lastly, I want to add a great deal I discovered today. If you live near a Walgreens, you might want to take part. Now until Saturday, they are offering a free 8”X10" photo collage if you use create the collage on their website and use the code 8X10TREAT at checkout. This offer is good for each customer, not each household and our Compassion kids always love it when we send these. I just made one for Kazihizina on my Walgreens account and will make another for one of our other kids on Jay’s account. I’m thinking it would be good to send with Johan’s birthday package.
(As another side note, I found out that as of last week, Compassion is allowing Silly Bands to be sent with our letters.They have been on the “no” list for quite some time, but if you send just a couple in with your letters they will now go through! Whew, one way to weed those things out of our house! lol )